Interesting Facts About Galatians Interesting Facts About Galatians
- AUTHOR: Paul
TIME WRITTEN: 53-56
POSITION IN THE BIBLE: * 48th Book in the Bible * 9th Book in the New Testament
* 4th of 21 Epistle Books (Romans – Jude) * 5th of Paul’s 13 books * 18 Books to follow it.
CHAPTERS: 6 VERSES: 149 WORDS: 3,098
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT GALATIANS: The Book of Galatians has been called
“The Magna Carta of Christian liberty.”
* Also known as “The Christian’s Declaration of Independence.”
* It is believed that Paul wrote Galatians with his own hand rather than having
dictated it to a secretary. (proof see 5:2 & 6:11) Therefore, Paul wrote the
Galatian letter in response to a report that the Galatian congregations were
being taken over by the false teaching of some Judiazing teachers who were
professing to be of Jesus, At the same time these false teachers sought to place
Gentile converts under the requirements of the Mosaic Law.
- The term “Galatia” was used in two senses:
(1) Ethnographic – As referring to the central part of Asia Minor.
(2) Political (or provincial reference) – Referring to include the
territory to the south that was not originally considered a part of Galatia
(ex.Antioch of Pisidia, Iconium, Lystra, Derbe, etc.).
- Paul had to correct Peter in a matter at Antioch in Syria. (see 2:11-12) In the Book of Galatians,
We also find Paul revealing the superiority of Christianity over the Law of Moses.
- WORDS FREQUENTLY USED: * “The law” – 31 times * “Flesh” – 18 times
* “Spirit” – 15 times * “Faith” – 21 times * ‘The promise” – 10 times
* Bondage” (and related words) – 11 times * “The Cross.” – 6 times
- PHRASES ASSOCIATED WITH: “In Christ we now have”: * “Freedom from sin”
* Freedom from the Law of Moses” * “Freedom from the doctrines of men”
- THE CENTER VERSE OR THE VERSE THE BOOK STRUCTURES ITSELF UPON:
“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20